It is useful in a small number of situations, mostly where you need to
ensure that two different references to the same object actually refer to
the same instance.  I've only needed to use it twice, both times were where
we have callbacks updating multiple related objects based on data held in
each other.

Anyway, if anyone else does understand what that caveat actually means I'd
appreciate an explanation.