I have 2 distinct types of users (artists and curators) in my system and
they currently share all associations (eg has_one :portfolio).
However, a curator shouldn't have a portfolio so I would like to only
add that association when required. Obviously I could just return nil
for that method, but it doesn't feel right having that there in the
first place.

What's the best way to get around this? I've looked at using eval in
after_find to call the has_one, but couldn't get it working.

Any thoughts?

thanks!