Josh Aronoff wrote in post #1092274:
> I'm having trouble even installing new rails apps. I get to the Bundle
> run, and it errors on Json, here's what my error says. I'm new to ALL of
> this, including Terminal commands, etc. Hope someone can help me out.
> Runs the Bundler.... then I error out at this:
>

> "Installing json (1.7.6) with native extensions
> Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError: ERROR: Failed to build gem native
> extension.
>
>         /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby
> extconf.rb
> mkmf.rb can't find header files for ruby at
> /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/ruby.h
>

> Gem files will remain installed in
> /Users/aronoff/.bundler/tmp/8712/gems/json-1.7.6 for inspection.
> Results logged to

/Users/aronoff/.bundler/tmp/8712/gems/json-1.7.6/ext/json/ext/generator/gem_make.out
> An error occured while installing json (1.7.6), and Bundler cannot
> continue.
> Make sure that `gem install json -v '1.7.6'` succeeds before bundling."
>
> I was hoping you guys could help me.

I see from those paths that you appear to be on a Mac. Here are my
recommendations for getting started with the latest versions of Ruby and
Rails.

Step 1: Install Homebrew.

http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/

Step 2: Install and configure rbenv and ruby-build using Homebrew.

$ brew install rbenv
$ brew install ruby-build

https://github.com/sstephenson/rbenv

Step 3: Install Ruby 1.9.3