Josh Aronoff wrote in post #1092595:
> Ok cool... Ugh, this permissions thing is driving me nuts. Can I just
> uninstall everything by deleting all the directories and re running the
> ruby and rails instals using either homebrow or rvm? to be clear, I'm
> only saying delete the ruby directory in my Library.

What exactly do you mean by "Library". There are several of those on OS
X.

/System/Library
System owned library. Definitely DO NOT delete, or otherwise touch
anything here.

/Library
Global library for third-party application use, not user specific.
Slightly less dangerous to mess with this stuff, but you shouldn't have
to.

~/Library
This is you're library where you're user specific Preferences,
Application Support, Caches, etc. are kept. You're free to do whatever
you wish with this stuff.

With that out of the way I'll see if I can flesh this out a bit more...

Whether you choose RVM or rbenv, both (by default) create a hidden
directory that is maintained by those tools. The tools are designed to
be as unobtrusive to the normal operation of the operating system as
possible (rbenv even more so than RVM).

You should see something like this:

$ cd ~
$ ls -la

-rw-r--r--@  1 robertwalker  staff  15364 Jan 14 16:42 .DS_Store
drwx------   3 robertwalker  staff    102 Apr  5  2011 .MacOSX
drwxrwxrwt@  3 robertwalker  staff    102 Apr 13  2011 .TemporaryItems
drwx------   2 robertwalker  staff     68 Jan 17 09:14 .Trash
drwxr-xr-x   5 robertwalker  staff    170 Jul 19 13:56 .rbenv

If you notice that .rbenv (or .rvm) have a user other than yourself
(e.g. root) your can fix that with:

$ chown -R robertwalker:staff .rbenv

Changes ownership of .rbenv and all it's contents recursively to user
"robertwalker" and group "staff".

You must also make sure your PATH is configured properly for rbenv or
RVM to work properly.

$ echo $PATH

/Users/robertwalker/.rbenv/shims:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/opt/local/bin:/usr/local/git/bin

Notice here that /Users/robertwalker/.rbenv/shims is the first path in
the PATH environment variable. In the case of rbenv this is added by
inserting this line...

# Enable rbenv shims and autocompletion
if which rbenv > /dev/null; then eval "$(rbenv init -)"; fi

somewhere in your .profile (or similar) file. RVM has a similar setup.
Read their docs for more.

Once you verify these things make sure to tell rbenv (or RVM) which
version of your installed Rubies to use:

$ rbenv global 1.9.3-p327

That should be all that's necessary to get going with rbenv or RVM. I
would recommend against messing with your system's built-in Ruby, or
anything inside /System/Library or /Library.