Thanks for the info Simon.

As far as the users waiting goes, thats easy... They will wait as long
as I tell them to as long as I give them something to look at and a
reason (Spinning CD and a "Please wait, Reticulating Splines" message
perhaps). In fact the entire process isnt really a vital part of the
program, it is simply to display some extra information for other
users who may want to download it. So if that information was updated
say 5 minutes later, it wouldnt really matter.
In any event, I am having a look at starling and working to start a
threaded process in the background and update the record whenever it
finishes. If however libxml is as fast as you say, perhaps I simply
need to do some load balancing and make them wait.
Of course a major problem is that I still dont know where to call the
processor from. Rails can be extremely frustrating when you are still
learning it.

Thanks for the info Simon
Marc