On Saturday, 18 May 2013 11:14:35 UTC-4, Denny Mueller wrote:

> This is my setup. I have a table user where all user with password and so
> on are set. The customer table has some customer related data. The user_id
> is the foreign key to relate the customers to the user.
>
> On of the column in the customer table is the customernumber. These
> numbers has to be uniq for each user_id.
>

> class Customers
>> belongs_to :user
>> end
>>
>> class Users
>> has_many :customers
>> end
>

> For example.
>
> customer | customernumber | user_id
> 1              0001                    1
> 2              0002                    1
> 3              0001                    2
> 4              0001                    3
> 5              0002                    3
>

> How can i approach this? Any hints what I have to look for?

validates_uniqueness_of has a 'scope' option that will do exactly what
you're describing:

class Customer < ActiveRecord::Base
  belongs_to :user
  validates_uniqueness_of :customernumber, :scope => :user_id
end

Depending on what you're intending to use the customer number for, you may
also want to take a look at something like acts_as_list.

--Matt Jones