Are you building this for a "Forgot My Password" feature? You could look
into using Devise and password recovery is built right in.

If you still want to roll your own I'd recommend, at a minimum, you instead
reset their password to a random password, email them the random password
and let them reset it. That's still not very secure though. Sending any
password in plain text defeats the purpose of hashing and storing your
passwords.  There's several better solutions like having user answer
security questions, sending them a link to a temporary obfuscated page that
allows them to reset their password, etc. If you're rolling your own right
now though I definitely recommend looking into the Devise gem as it will do
all this for you.

-- Nate West <http://about.me/natewest> --