Hello!
I might be wrong, but i think this is causing you problems:

Given(/^there is at least (\d+) staff info record$/) do |arg1|
 assert_difference('StaffInfo.count', 1) do
   @staff_info = FactoryGirl.create :staff_info

When(/^the shirt size field is empty$/) do
 assert @staff_info.update_attribute(:shirt_size, nil)
end

Most probably is because you are combining cucumber with Rails test, meaning
you managed to perform a test in a test ... Those assertions might be your
problem...

I haven't met this behavior, but most probably your databse_cleaner is cleaning
your test after those assertions, which is inside your scenario.

I'd go for something like this:

# Populating my Db and Make sure i have at least one
Given /^there is at least (\d+) staff info record$/ do |arg1|
  @staff_info = FactoryGirl.create :staff_info
  (arg1.to_i - 1).times do
    FactoryGirl.create :staff_info

# Make sure my model is empty
When /^the shirt size field is empty$/ do
 @staff_info.update_attribute(:shirt_size, nil)

In my support env.rb i would add

World FactoryGirl::Syntax::Methods

Then use create(:staff_info) instead of full FactoryGirl.create syntax ...

Tks.
A.