Hi Mike,

it seems like you want to do some validation to improve the user
experience, give them some feedback etc.

Without knowing the exact use cases I would go with a combination of
client- and server-side validation. On client's side you can go with one of
the various jQuery form validation plugins that suits your needs. On the
other hand it's not that big of a deal to write some custom JavaScript to
check for some basic things, like completion of questions etc.

But I would like to stress the point that you definitely should validate
the most important things on the server-side (validation in models,
see http://guides.rubyonrails.org/active_record_validations.html). To be
absolutely sure, you should check the rules on client-side again on server
side.

Good luck!
Max