Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I was hoping to avoid client-side validations
just because it means replicating a lot of work already done (and my
JS/JQuery is not up to snuff, but I should take it as an opportunity to
work on that).  That will be the route I take, I guess.

Dave: the 'I prefer not to answer' is the best option if we assume humans
act rationally.  However, if you state that as an option many people assume
there is some reason that they should not answer and they not only choose
not to answer but become more suspicious and tend to drop out of the
study.  Also, if personal experience is generalizable, many people are lazy
and will just click that if they don't to look up an answer.  For these
reasons we'd like to avoid cluing them in to the fact that they can skip
the question, but we want to let them skip it if they have an actual
objection to providing the information.

Max: Yes, I plan to keep the server side validations in check for
everything important.  These question pertain mostly to demographic
information--household income and the like--that people may have objections
to sharing, and that won't destroy our data if they're absent--just present
a less rich picture.

Once again, thanks all for the feedback.  It's encouraging as to someone
starting freelance work.

Mike