Walter Davis wrote in post #1148806:
> I would definitely not mix the login logic with the "show the home page"
> logic as you seem to have done here

I fully agree that from a programmer's viewpoint it would make the
problem much cleaner to solve. However, when developing software, I try
to see the user's perspective, and I'm reluctant to change the user
interface just because it makes my task as a programmer easier. After
all, we are writing programs *for* the user, not for ourselves.

I think most users would accept the approach you are suggesting (where
in my case, BTW, no operation will be permitted unless being logged in),
since they are kind of used to it, but this doesn't mean that we
shouldn't make him the life easier.

In my application, the user will *always* provide an username, and
*always* provide a dictionary name, before s/he can start any sensible
work, so it certainly makes sense to request both in one go, when the
session is being established established.

But at least I learned from the answers, that no really clean solution
seems to exist for *this* kind of user interface :-(