On Friday 26 December 2008 06:52 am, Peter De Berdt wrote:

> On 26 Dec 2008, at 12:33, Matt Harrison wrote:
>
> >> I have a HP laptop that is not quite 3 years old. I've downloaded
> >> alot of stuff, and the machine seems to run alot slower than it
used
> >> to. It takes along time to boot, and it's gotten really bad, though
> >> do have AVG.
> >
> > Backup, format and re-install windows. Every computer needs this now
> > and
> > again. I do that to my desktop about every 3 months, keeps it
running
> > like new, plus you'll have the experience for when a hard-disk dies.
>
> You gotta be kidding.

I did it about every 6 months on my regularly used (Windows)
computers--this was back in the day when I used Windows 95 and 98.  It
definitely was required for Windows and/or the mix of applications I
used.

To the OP: I think you know that PCs today can run Linux (just has to be
installed unless you find a pre-installed version), and then, with
Linux installed, I wouldn't expect a Mac with Linux to be any better
than a PC with Linux (with the possible exception of some different
applications available).

Randy Kramer
--
I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
instead.--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.