Box models

here's a handy IE toolbar
Internet Explorer Developer Toolbar
http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?familyid=E59C3964-672D-4511-BB3E-2D5E1DB91038&displaylang=en

I don't consider myself a guru.
In looking at your CSS there could be a lot of cleaning up done.
Example. you declare font-family in many places.
You could make a "main.css" and  do
body {
        font-family: Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
        font-size: medium;
}

That way your fonts are the same and since you're declaring it once
less to download.
You could go further and make a "type_001.css" and just declare all
your typography in it.
When you want to change you font change the file to say "type_002.css"
that way the cached css won't be pulled and you wonder why the type
hasn't changed.

You could do the same for:
reset (http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/css/reset/)
layout (positioning)