I have to admit, that I'm as well very new to Rails. :)

I have not yet installed paperclip nor ckeditor but I'm working on an app
on my own and your "case" seemed interesting to me because I also want to
add an editor for editorial purposes writing and maintaining blog posts.
Hence I made a bit of reaearch on my own.

As far as I know you can put those options or - in different situations -
methods wherever you like, that is to say in "helpers" or "controllers" but
if you use it in a particular helper it might not be valid/available for
the whole app because of the scope/inheritance, so it's best to include it
to the application controller, or better to add it to the particular helper
and include the helper in the app controller with the include method you
already know from php.

But there's a caveat and I'm not able to tell if this works for you or not.
In the last weeks I learned that in particular the windows version of Rails
has some inconsistencies to the other versions. And then I don't know if
these options I presented you were already implemented in version 3.5.3 of
paperclip but you might want to try it out, just put this options for jpg
into your app controller and see if it works. Maybe you have to restart the
rails server too.

Kind regards.