I looked into the source of the ckeditor gem (cf.
https://github.com/galetahub/ckeditor) and read a bit in its documentation
today...

I would say Rails acts nearly in the same manner as php would. You
integrate the JS, you create a view with a form and add the corresponding
classes to it. That's it for the integration to "show".

You then only have to add the corresponding actions for the submit buttons
to "act" with your db if you would do it on your own. For the ckeditor gem
it might be even more simple by just adding some options for your upload
path for example, because ckeditor gem hast a file uploader integrated.

Kind regards.