Can you specify where you found this information about the limitations of
google tag manager "will be supporting only for rails 3.0.0 and higher" ?

Did you find a Gem or something for this purpose?

Ruby 1.8.6 reached end of life in 2011 (that was 3 years ago!) You have little
excuse for not upgrading to at least 1.8.7 (although 1.8.7 technically reached
EOL at the end of July, it is in a phase-out period).

As far as upgrading Rails to 3, that may or may not be a big job depending on
your Rails app. However, this is a good example of why staying current with
Rails is significant because generally Gems aren't written for older versions
of Rails.