On Thursday, December 4, 2014 10:25:06 AM UTC-5, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 6:46 AM, Jason Fleetwood-Boldt
> <te...@datatravels.com <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> > here's some background information:
> >
> > http://www.gymassistant.com/products/gym_assistant/eft_explained.php
> >
> http://www.cybersource.com/products/payment_processing/direct_debit_bank_transfers/
>

> This seems totally oriented to *on-going* relationships: subscriptions,
> utility payments, etc. The initial setup at least seems far too onerous
> to use for one-time e-commerce transactions.
>
> Perhaps it works differently in other countries...

I'm not sure what would be different in other countries.  I believe EFT is
cheaper to process, so larger businesses prefer it.  People that want to
write checks instead of use a credit card may prefer it as well.

>From having set up the capability through Authorize.net (using
ActiveMerchant), I can tell you that at least through Authorize.net it is
not a direct, immediate bank transfer.  It is an electronic check.  Just
like with checks, the payment may be "approved", but the check may still
not clear.  Just like with checks, it takes a couple days for the checks to
clear (or not), so you have to have business processes in place to
reconcile against Authorize.net and not consider a payment actually paid
until Authorize.net has cleared the check and put the money in your
merchant account.

Jim