Don’t repeat yourself. Don’t repeat yourself.

Yea I agree that article is a little cursory. Each one of those 10 bullet
points could be an entire blog post itself. Also it doesn’t even mention
avoiding n+1 queries, which I think is absolutely essential for ever new Rails
dev to learn up-front.

I agree that some up-front stuff is important, like: CDNs, properly using the
asset pipeline (compressing & Gzipping, moving to a CDN, etc), indexes on the
fields you search against. However, in a company with a high-traffic website
and investors who want a return on their money, it’s all about cost-benefit. So
you need to think about the payoff for some of your efforts.

For example, in my experience spriting your images actually costs a lot of
developer time with very little payoff when it comes to browser performance.
(I’m thinking in the scenario where you might have fewer than 10 images on any
given page. If you have hundreds of 25x25 images spriting makes a lot more
sense.)

If you do the essentials up-front (listed above), the best strategy for
optimization is to use a tool like New Relic to identify your bottlenecks and
then optimize anything slow bit-by-bit. It’s tedious but you get a better
result in the long run.

-Jason

> On Dec 11, 2014, at 10:20 AM, Josh Jordan <josh.jor...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> While some of the advice here is good, it represents a very confused view of
> performance optimization. For instance, #2 is just plain bad advice for
> performance (but good for modularity) - partial rendering has a ton of
> overhead in Rails. #3 doesn't speak to performance at all. DRY (#4) is not a
> performance principle. I stopped when the author repeated #4.
>
> On Wednesday, December 10, 2014 3:51:02 PM UTC-5, Colin Law wrote:
> On 10 December 2014 at 17:43, Dante Elrik <li...@ruby-forum.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
> > Mehreen wrote in post #1163991:
> >> Hello guys!
> >>
> >> I found a guideline which will help to boost up performance of your Ruby
> >> on
> >> Rails application
> >>
> > <http://www.nascenia.com/10-tips-to-boost-up-performance-of-your-ruby-on-rails-application/
> >
> > <http://www.nascenia.com/10-tips-to-boost-up-performance-of-your-ruby-on-rails-application/>>.
> >
> >> You should check this out.
> >
> > I'd like to! Link is dead.
>
> It works for me.  Some of the suggestions are way out of date though,
> being written in 2011!
>
> Colin

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/5261a95e-ff88-42f2-a020-f443932d1a9f%40googlegroups.com
>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/5261a95e-ff88-42f2-a020-f443932d1a9f%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

----

Jason Fleetwood-Boldt
t...@datatravels.com
http://www.jasonfleetwoodboldt.com/writing

All material © Jason Fleetwood-Boldt 2014. Public conversations may be turned
into blog posts (original poster information will be made anonymous). Email
ja...@datatravels.com with questions/concerns about this.