Hello Rails team,

I'm not sure whether to post this question here or in the Rails core list.
Please redirect me to the right forum if applicable.

Our team lead and I recently discussed the pros and cons of breaking up a
long source file into multiple source files. I tend to prefer one class per
file, because I find the individual files easier to read and easier to find
(with ctrl-p in Sublime). On the other hand, our team lead doesn't have
issues with long source files. He argues that they are quite common in
open-source projects. As an example, he pointed to the
ActionDispatch::Routing::Mapper
<https://github.com/rails/rails/blob/e47e8e915e733177fe1dee2c67bef1724bbba553/actionpack/lib/action_dispatch/routing/mapper.rb>
 class in Rails as a case of a long file with multiple inline classes.

I'm curious to learn the intent behind keeping all the contents of Mapper
class within a single file. What were the advantages of taking this
approach?

Thanks,

George Mendoza
Philippines