On 23 February 2016 at 15:33, krfg <fangor...@yahoo.it> wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 12:26:21 PM UTC+1, Colin Law wrote:

>> Any serious security hole in git would be rapidly patched in the
>> version in an LTS version of Ubuntu, however a comment on the link
>> suggests it is not  problem on Linux.
>>
>> Obviously, however, there should be no harm in installing the latest
>> version.  Did you install from the PPA or build it yourself?
>>

> I installed it from the PPA.
> I added the PPA to my software source list with: sudo apt-add-repository
> ppa:git-core/ppa
> then I updated the souce list with: sudo apt-get update
> and finally I installed git: sudo apt-get install git
>
> Is that ok?
> I checked in the Git official website and indeed there is only information
> on installation with the package manager, there are no other option apart
> from that.They say: "It is easiest to install Git on Linux using the
> preferred package manager of your Linux distribution" and nothing else.
> Surely "easiest" does not mean "the only way", but I suppose can be
> interpreted as "preferable" when no alternative method is mentioned.

Using the ppa is the best way if you need the up to date version, that
way it will be automatically updated if there are new releases.
Though there is a slight risk in having the cutting edge version that
there may be new bugs that have not yet been noticed.

The alternative to using a ppa is to build it from source, but that is
hard work for no benefit (other than educational).

Colin