Colin Law wrote in post #1182080:
> On 9 March 2016 at 23:19, John Sanderbeck <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> attendance_count is not an attribute of organization, it is an
> attribute of attendee so would need something like
> Training.organizations.first.attendees.first.attendance_count
> An organization has many attendees so for each organization there are
> many values of attendance_count.  Which makes me realise that the
> table example you posted does not make sense, as each organization
> must have multiple rows.  If that is not the case then I do not
> understand your associations.

I think I have an idea on how I need to do this...

If I add a scope to Organization that is like the following, would this
work?

scope :attendance, lambda {|trainingid|
joins(:attendees).where("training_id = ?", trainingid).attendance_count

Would this make sense?

or would this be better in a method like

def self.attendance(trainingid)
  joins(:attendees).where("training_id = ?",trainingid).attendance_count
end

I just tried it both ways though and I get an undefined method
attendance for the scope and an unknown method joins for the method so
maybe my syntax is incorrect...

John