The application I am working on is largely based on Michael Hartl's
tutorial.
The create action for the users controller uses *strong parameters
<https://www.railstutorial.org/book/updating_and_deleting_users#sec-revisiting_strong_parameters>

*with permitted parameters*. *The 'admin' attribute, for instance, is not
included in the permitted parameters, so a malicious user could not send a
PATCH request in order to become admin.

My application requires newly created users to make a list of choices on
the home page in order to be redirected to a new page, reserved for users
who have completed this stage.
I thought to add to the User model a new attribute ('member', for instance)
which can be toggled inside the create action of the Choice controller
(probably with a call of a private method), once the user has completed the
number of choices requested.

Is this allowed or am I required to revise strong parameters with the new
attribute?