> On Mar 6, 2019, at 7:15 AM, Colin Law <clan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I hope someone can help me with an assets problem.  I have had to
> rebuild a production server and images are no longer getting served.
> Unfortunately the working system is no more so I can't compare what I
> have with what used to work in order to help diagnose the problem.
>
> I am using Rails 4.2 with nginx on an Ubuntu 16.04 server with
> capistrano to deploy it and I have not changed the application (which
> is git controlled).  However it is now running on a later version of
> Ubuntu so the tools there have been updated, including nginx.
>
> The problem is that image assets are not being served, the javascript
> and css are working.  I can see (on the server) that the assets have
> been precompiled and I can see in public/assets image files such as
> blue_pin-<digest>.png where <digest> is a big long number.
> However in the browser console I can see it attempt to fetch
> /assets/blue_pin.png without the digest, and this fails.
>
> The code in the app that references the image is in coffescript and is a line
> @marker_icon_blue = new OpenLayers.Icon('/assets/blue_pin.png', size, offset);
>
> I used to know how all this is supposed to work, but I have been away
> from Rails for a while and the brain cells seem to have atrophied
> rather, and perusing the docs has failed to re-invigorate them
> sufficiently, so if someone could suggest what might be going on I
> would be very grateful.
>
> Colin

The asset pipeline needs a JavaScript interpreter to work correctly on the
server. I usually install whatever version of Node.js is available in a package
manager. Alternatively, you can use the gem `therubyracer` to do the same
thing. If you have that dependency filled, then I'm fresh out of ideas.

Walter