> On Mar 6, 2019, at 10:16 AM, Colin Law <clan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 at 14:47, Walter Lee Davis <wa...@wdstudio.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Mar 6, 2019, at 9:27 AM, Walter Lee Davis <wa...@wdstudio.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The asset pipeline needs a JavaScript interpreter to work correctly on the
>>> server. I usually install whatever version of Node.js is available in a
>>> package manager. Alternatively, you can use the gem `therubyracer` to do
>>> the same thing. If you have that dependency filled, then I'm fresh out of
>>> ideas.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions Walter
> I have checked nodejs is installed (node -v shows 10.x)
>

>> Make sure that this works, on the server:
>>
>> RAILS_ENV=production rake assets:precompile
>
> Yes it does work, it outputs nothing, as expected.  The code has been
> checked out of the git repo, which doesn't include the public/assets
> folder and the compiled assets are there ok.
> I just realised that I was wrong about the css, that isn't found either.
>
> One thing that confuses me, in the nginx log I see entries like
> GET /assets/red_pin.png HTTP/1.1" 404 457 ...
> Should the url not be the full name including the digest?

Yes, at the NGINX level, the request should be for the actual file path. In the
Rails app, there would be a helper call like asset_url('red_pin.png'), which
would generate the full path including the fingerprint.

> Even more confusingly I am informed that if I access the server from
> another location then the images do appear, but I wonder whether that
> one is seeing cached images.  I haven't managed to capture the log
> when that site issues a full refresh yet.

Yes. If you want to bust the cache, there's an assets_version config attribute
you can change. I think it's 1 by default, and you can increment it, and then
precompile assets. Everything will change. But the question you have above
would trump that, I think.

Walter