I have tried issuing the following command:

./script/plugin --verbose install http://github.com/rails/in_place_editing.git

and I get:

Plugins will be installed using http
git init
git pull --depth 1 http://github.com/rails/in_place_editing.git

But again, I do not see any plugin under my vendor/plugins directory.