First off, I'm an intermediate Rails developer who is still learning the
inner workings of Rails.. so here is my situation/problem:

I have written a Plugin that accesses a third party API.  Within the
Plugin I had multiple classes that inherit from one another.  Example:

**************************
Old Code (Plugin Classes)
**************************

class ApiConn
 attr_accessor :api_url, :api_key

 def initialize(url, key)
   @api_url = url
   @api_key = key
 end

 def api_perform(class_type, method, *args)
   begin
     server = XMLRPC::Client.new3({'host' => self.api_url, 'path' =>
"/api/xmlrpc", 'port' => 443, 'use_ssl' => true})
     result = server.call("#{class_type}.#{method}", self.api_key,
*args)
   rescue XMLRPC::FaultException => e
     puts "*** Api Error: #{e.faultCode} - #{e.faultString} ***"
   end

   return result

class ContactService < ApiConn
  def api_contact_add(data)
    api_perform('ContactService', 'add', data)

**************************
Then within my ApplicationController I have this:
**************************

Account
def current_account
  @current_account ||=
Rails.cache.fetch("ch:current:account:#{current_subdomain}"){
    Account.find_by_subdomain(current_subdomain)
  }
end

def app_contact_svc
  @app_contact_svc ||=
ContactService.new("#{current_account.api_url}.application.com",
current_account.api_key)
end

**************************

Well, this has worked fine.  However, as I've been going through my
controllers, I've noticed that a lot of these calls should be moved to
the models.  For example, I have an ActiveRecord model named Contact and
I would like to be able to call api_contact_add from within the instance
of that model.  I know I would be able to do that by switching the
plugin to a module.

However, here is the problem:  The rails app uses accounts and each
account has a different api_url and api_key.  The current_account(see
above) is set by the subdomain being used.

So I guess my question is how I can have module attributes set
specifically for each account through multiple models?

So instead of doing Contact.new(api_url, key) in an initialize statement
for each class that includes the ApiConn module, I would like these
values set once for all models specific to the account.

I hope this make sense :)