Hey guys - I've been struggling for over a week to get my action
mailer working - I've built a second application and I get the same
problems.
I'm pretty sure the problem must be with my smtp settings - according
to everything I've read, these are correct though, is there anyone out
there who can help?

In my environment.rb I have:

ActionMailer::Base.raise_delivery_errors = true
ActionMailer::Base.perform_deliveries = true
ActionMailer::Base.delivery_method = :smtp
ActionMailer::Base.smtp_settings = {
  :address => "server.600host.net",
  :port => "465",
  :domain => "mydomain.com",
  :authentication => :login,
  :user_name => "u...@mydomain.com", # is this the email address from
which I'm sending mail?
  :password => "password"
}

This gives:
Timeout::Error (execution expired)

Other combinations of smtp settings give me either:
SocketError: getaddrinfo: Name or service not known
or
OpenSSL::SSL::SSLError: hostname was not match with the server

What am I doing wrong?