I'm sure I can whip something up to do this, but I'm wondering an
elegant solution already exists.  I will have any number of Registration
objects coming in through web form, but I wish there to be only one User
object per unique email address.  So far this works fine.  So
Registration belongs_to User, User has_many Registrations.  (This, by
the way, is because the site does not have a persistent profile/logged
in session and thus the same person could fill out the registration form
multiple times.)

What I'd like is if a person comes in a second time, creates a
Registration object using an email address that already has an
associated User, then update the User.updated_at field.  In other words,
the clean/dirty status of User is based on the most recent Registration
object that was added.

Does such a feature already exist in the association?  I figure I could
get around it altogether by defining User.updated_at as the max of
registrations.updated_at, but that's pretty inefficient.  My other
option is just to put in some sort of before_save filter on
Registration.  But it seems better placed on User - but User isn't
technically changing during this operation, right?  So I'm not sure
where I'd hook in.