My experience was even worse. That worse that I started to dislike git
a lot. RoR is about keeping things simple and clear: now we have and
http, and svn, AND git for installing plugins, and some of it works
sometimes, but not always, and you need to install something else
first, etc. NOT a good evolution, if this goes on. The best way to
make a programming language less populair is make it cluttered,
complicated, illogical and unstable. Git is starting to do all that
for me. Hope it changes for the better. :-(