On 09 Feb 2009, at 16:53, Freddy Andersen wrote:

> Would you change your car if your professional race-car driver friend
> said that a ferrari is the way to go?

If I had the money for it I might seriously consider it :-)

> Personally I use a mac with Text-mate and love it. However I did not
> switch to my mac just because someone feels its the better platform to
> develop with.

All joking aside, sometimes trusting someone else's judgement should
be taken into consideration. There comes a certain point in Rails
development on Windows where frustrations and hurdles trying to get
certain niche gems to work (or even quite frequently used gems) get
the upper hand. Yet, even in those hard times, some people might find
it very hard getting out of that comfort zone of "knowing the OS
inside and out". Biting the bullet and either buying a Mac or
switching to Linux for development in Rails' context is a wise choice
imho and the learning curve for either OS is far less steep than most
people think. The fact that there's such a strong voice within the
community to either opt for MacOS or Linux should be reassuring. But
hey, that's just my personal opinion.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt