Hi Gavin,

I tried your suggestion; this time the javascript function isn't
called at all.

             <% form_tag({}, {:id => 'radioform'}) do %>
                <%= radio_button_tag(  'datum', 'geen', @geendatum )
%>
                <%= f.label( 'geen datum' ) %><br/>
                <%= radio_button_tag( 'datum', 'met', !...@geendatum) %>
                <%= f.label( 'met datum' ) %>
             <% end %>
            <%= observe_form( :radioform, :function => 'datum_geklikt
(true)') %>

It appears that the observe_form results in a error on the error
console:

Error: $(form) is null
Source file: ..../javascripts/prototype.js .....

I have a feeling I am sticking my head into a wasp nest. I am really
interested in understanding what happens, but maybe  I should  begin
with the regular  stuff. I appreciate your help Gavin. If I have time
this week to have a look at it again and I find an answer to this
problem, I will put it in this thread.

thanks, RUud