Short version:  How do I submit a patch?

Long version:
I hit an error with Rails 2.3 on Ruby 1.9.1, debugged it, and fixed it
locally.  Now, I'd like to open a bug report and submit a patch, but I'm
having a hard time figuring out how.

I'm watching a RailsCast, but every little step is taking hours.  The
lighthouse site was down (but is back up now), I didn't have (and had
never used) git, I just spent an hour getting mysql [1] installed (since
the RailsCast claims it's required by rails self-test suite), and now
rails test is failing with a bug that somebody else apparently reported
yesterday against Netbeans (which I'm not using). [2]

1. Btw, why doesn't mysql on OS X read ~/.inputrc?  GNU readline is
installed.

2. http://forums.netbeans.org/post-26407.html