Perhaps you need to really take on what they're saying. It's not a
fight as I see it, unless you make it one.

And... Why fight?

I used to train in a martial art, and people would often train with me
with the attitude that they're 'way' of doing something was better.
The only whole way to address their issues is to embrace them and try
out their way! Try it on honestly and that will show you why you use
your way, and maybe even learn their point of view!! :)

Example: I prefer mac os/x and apple gear. I regularly use pc's at
work and once years ago when I was a graphic designer, I even switched
to pc for a few years at the advice of someone. It was good advice,
and he was right to suggest it on the surface, but I got so sick of
all the little things missing that I bought a mac again. I really knew
pc's quite well - I could do EVERYTHING via keyboard shortcuts.  But I
still preferred the mac because of several key reasons. They were
quality of attention to detail of finish on everything, what they left
OUT of their interfaces, and the Porsche feeling - the things they
make are often just so beautiful, they make me happy :)

My point is, though, without going through the experience of trying
other suggestions, you can't really know if your choice is a valid and
informed one, if that's important to you. If you do go through the
experience, I guarantee you'll learn a lot and also that your
appreciation of whichever tool you choose will increase magnitudes.

Be careful, though, of fostering us vs them attitudes. This won't make
you happy. The creator of ruby's goal was to make programming
enjoyable :) don't forget that not everyone loves sunshine, though,
and do you know what? That's valid!!!

Love,
Julian

Blog: http://random8.zenunit.com/