Jaryl Sim wrote:
> If that's the case, then you should split it up into multiple
> requests. I believe that you can only send back one response per
> request, so that is an inherent problem.

Sure that's the case, that's how HTTP protocol works. One response for
one request. I think of it as similar to an event loop, where each cycle
through the loop processes one event.

The difference is that an event loop is continuous, where a
request-response cycle sleeps between each cycle. In other words the
event loop runs continuously checking an event queue, where as HTTP
sleeps until it is sent a request, which causes it to "awake" and
process the request and generate a response. After the response is
processes it sleeps again until awoken by another request.

> Perhaps you may try sending a request once the a valid file is
> selected in the file upload field.

As far as I know, the behavior you're after is going to require some
client-side code. I know there are a number of solutions floating
around, some taking advantage of Flash (as I assume the swfupload does).
Some others I've heard of make use of a Java applet. But, I would
imagine this behavior could be built with JavaScript/AJAX.

In any case I think the "brains" of this feature will need to be
implemented client-side. The AJAX should be able to send requests to a
server-side action responsible to accepting one file, and the
client-side code would make one request per file, plus additional
request to manipulate the DOM.

Please note this is all speculation. I have no proof-of-concept code to
offer.