Hi Tom,

Just to fine tune your original question, you're probably most interested in
knowing whether or not a Rails equivalent to your current ASP application
will be capable of running on the same hardware and infrastructure as your
existing setup with approximately the same resource requirements and
performance.  If I were sitting down with you as a consultant, I would
immediately ask the following questions:

   - What does your current hardware and infrastructure solution look like?
   (i.e. number and type of servers, where hosted, etc.)
   - What does your application look like?  (i.e. mostly static content,
   dynamic application functionality, little/lots of Ajax, etc.)
   - How much higher is your peak load than your average load?  (i.e. 10x,
   50x, 100x, etc.)

Without that information, you're going to get a lot of answers about how
Rails scales well without really knowing whether or not Rails will scale
well for you.  However, if we assume a peak load somewhere between 10x and
20x, you're talking about something on the order of a few hundred requests
per minute which is not such a high demand to place on a basic Rails app
running on a single recent model server, especially if you're able to
implement some form of caching.