Bill Sim wrote:

> This sounds ridiculous to me, but if I'm missing something, I would love
> to hear some opinions.  Is there an issue with support for Ruby+Postgres?

We use Postgres as the backend for everything we run, the sole exception
is our webfax front end which I do not have time to figure out how to
make work with Postgres.  One day perhaps.

The main thing to be aware of with contractors is that the dominant
thinking about DBMS, insofar as web-app developers go, is that it is a
conveniently formatted bit-bucket.  This is very far from the truth but
it is the current paradigm.

ActiveRecord is but a case in point. ORMs frequently make it very
difficult to exploit Postgres's capabilities to any great extent.  There
are plugins to accomplish a few additional things with Postgres through
AR, but most of the features of a full-fledge RDBMS are all but
inaccessible without a lot of SQL strings built into your application.

If your requirements are at all sophisticated in terms of transaction
volume and complexity then you may be better off looking for people who
have worked with the sequel gem and who know Postgres inside out.

Developers with deep knowledge of the DBMS and its inherent capabilities
-- like triggers, functions and stored procedures -- will provide you
with far better results than peole who just know web-apps and the
minimum necessary to get data in and out of the store.