Bill Sim wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We're making a development decision soon to use Ruby to develop a front
> end for our system.  The backend currently runs on Postgresql.  Some
> contractors are pushing us to change the backend database to MySQL,
> simply because it's more common to work with Ruby + MySQL.  We prefer
> not to support more than one kind of database in house.
>
> We have gotten push back from contractors, who have said, "If it's not
> MySQL, I wont bid on it."  I am not a Ruby Developer (IANARD), but I
> would like to know if there is an issue with using Ruby + Postgres.
> Someone indicated that Ruby + MySQL play nice together, whereas it's
> problematic to use other kinds of DBs.
>
> This sounds ridiculous to me, but if I'm missing something, I would love
> to hear some opinions.  Is there an issue with support for
> Ruby+Postgres?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

Thank you to everyone who replied.  This is very helpful.

I think we will stick with our current plan, and use Postgresql.  In
general, it makes me uncomfortable when developers refuse to use one
tool or another.  It shouldn't really matter.  It's the architecture
that really counts.  The code design should be modularized, so that any
back-end DB could be used. MySQL and Postgresql shouldn't make a huge
difference to the front-end developer.  (We choose Postgresql for the
back-end for some particular reasons, nothing to do with the
front-end.).