To eliminate any corruption I reinstalled ruby and rails (2.2.2) and
created an empty project but the same error persists with "rake
rails:freeze:gems".

"Permission denied - activesupport-2.2.2 or activesupport"

I added some debug code to the mv function in fileUtils but I can't get
any additional information.

1. How can I debug rake tasks? Is there a way to set breakpoints in
fileutils.rb when "rake rails:freeze:gems" runs so I can inspect the
data there?

2. How can I get information about what user is the command "rake
rails:freeze:gems" running under? I am system admin on my box so I just
don't understand the permission denied error I am seeing

I also tried to go down the other path I had tried earlier to freeze
rails with "rake rails:freeze:edge TAG=rel_2-2-2". It looks like there
the system can't find an unzip executable - I have Winzip on my box but
not sure if that matters. I saw in another post
(http://www.question-defense.com/2009/04/02/error-freezing-rails-usr-local-lib-ruby-1-8-fileutils-rb-1297-command-not-found-unzip-railszip/)

that doing a "yum install unzip" on a linux box apparently solved this
kind of problem. Is there an equivalent "unzip" install for XP box that
might address this aspect of the problem?

D:\TestRails2>rake rails:freeze:edge TAG=rel_2-2-2 --trace
(in D:/TestRails2)
** Invoke rails:freeze:edge (first_time)
** Execute rails:freeze:edge
cd vendor
Downloading Rails from
http://dev.rubyonrails.org/archives/rails_edge.zip
Unpacking Rails
rm -rf rails
---> removed rails directory successfully
c:/ruby/bin/rake.bat: No such file or directory - unzip rails.zip
---> unzipped rails.zip
rm -f rails.zip
rm -f rails/Rakefile
rm -f rails/cleanlogs.sh
rm -f rails/pushgems.rb
rm -f rails/release.rb
touch rails/REVISION_7ce0778a1516110cf8015e59e2e8fac15032379c
rake aborted!
No such file or directory -
rails/REVISION_7ce0778a1516110cf8015e59e2e8fac15032379c

I don't really know what else to do to debug this problem. Could use
some help/pointers  here.

Thanks,
-S