Found one other mention that might be of interest:

http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/115921

This is with a similar problem related to renaming session files.

Given that the above issue doesn't share any code with the
rails:freeze:gems task, I'm guessing this is some kind of extremely
obscure Ruby bug. And given that it doesn't occur when the commands
are executed in irb, it seems likely that it's some kind of filesystem
race condition...

Sj, could you try dropping a sleep(10) call in between the unpack and
move steps? If that makes the problem go away, that will be useful
information...

--Matt Jones