On Tuesday 12 May 2009, Jim Burgess wrote:
> Hi,
> I have written a method to map three 'virtual' fields in my form to
> one 'proper' field in my model.
> It looks like this:
>
> class Class
>   def map_three_fields(var1, var2, var3)
>     string_val = "...do stuff..."
>    self.class_eval string_val
>   end
> end

I hope you know what you're doing. What if one of the strings is

%x{echo gotcha}

or worse?

> At the moment it is sitting at the top of my model, but the method is
> quite long and this looks a bit ugly / cluttered.

Then move it down to the bottom, or if you want to hide it even more,
put it in a module:

class MyModel < ActiveRecord::Base
  include ComplicatedStuff

> And if so, will it work out of the box or do I need to add a
> "require" somewhere or alter any configuration files.

As long as it is in one of the "usual" directories, i.e. app/models,
lib, the module will be found automatically.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:mich...@schuerig.de