> I recommend this setup for date entry since it does help a little with
> the input sanitizing:  When you use a Select tag, the user input options
> are known values and it allows you to be much more aggressive and
> unforgiving with your input validation.  Text box input requires some
> fuzzy acceptance of values, but a Select/Options list does not - you can
> validate against a fixed set of values and anything else must have come
> from a Bad Guy.

Hi,
Thanksfor the replies.
I've just been chatting with my brother-in-law who is a ruby programmer
(considerably better than am I) and he pointed out that as I am calling
the method which uses "eval" thus:
map_three_fields :dob_day, :dob_month, :dob_year, "make_date", "dob"
the method doesn't accept any user input as arguments (only three
symbols and two strings) and is therefore harmless.

So I guess I can stick with my original method after all.

Cheers
Jim