On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 3:05 AM, Joshua Partogi <joshua.j...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm currently looking for opportunity for a rails career in USA (Note: I've
> never been to US in my entire life). Now can anyone give me a ballpark
> figure of the salary rate as a rails developer in the US? I've tried looking
> around in rails job boards but can not find an estimate of salary rate in
> the US. Please mail me privately if talking about this in public is
> irrelevant.
>
> Thank you very much for your kind attention and support.
> Regards
>
> --
> Join Scrum8.com today! Create your startup business, scale your business,
> outsource your project and meet your budget.
>
> Follow us on twitter: http://twitter.com/scrum8

In general, each developer sets their own rates based on many factors.
 Here's a list of some of these factors that some people
use in determining their salary:

a)  education level (i.e. BS, MS, and so on)
b)  years of software industry experience
c)  years of experience with Ruby
d)  years of experience in Rails
e)  years of experience in <fill in the blank>
f)   value that you bring to the perspective company
g)  cost of living (i.e. housing and food within area)
h)  healthcare costs (i.e. medical, dental, and so on)

Next, here's a salary wizard that might be of some assistance to you:

http://www.salary.com

In our company, they tend to hire someone that knows Rails and a lot of
other things.  Thus, they tend to look for a jack of all
trades type of person that has a specialization in Ruby/Rails.  Furthermore,
they look for someone that likes to learn new stuff. Why?  If there's no
growth in your employees, the company cannot expect to grow.

Good luck,

-Conrad