That's a great point Philip.  I'm actually trying to solve that very
problem in a project I'm working on.

I want to be able to do exactly what lighthouseapp does when it logs
ticket updates.  In that case, you have comments that people can make
on a ticket.  But when someone updates the ticket, I want to create a
comment and log who changed what.  I've now learned you can't do that
with a simple model observer (because I need to know who is updating
the ticket, which is part of the session).

I searched around on this list and the only thing I've found with any
substance is people recommending the cache sweeping recipe from the
book rails recipes.  I'm digging into that now....

In your case though, you're creating a separate model (AuditLog) in
the controller...I want to keep this out of the controller.

Do you have any experience with cache sweeping for this purpose?