Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

> In sum, then...please don't tell me what I say is "patently ridiculous"

It still seems to me that it is.  Where there is html, there can be
javascript.  I would far rather use one line

<script type="text/javascript>create_menu_div(some parameters)</script>

Than cut and paste the 20-50 lines of html this could represent, esp.
since it will allow the use of DOM*. Also, using an event handler still
entails putting some javascript in an html page somewhere.

You have hit a paradox by saying that you want to use prototype, etc.
but you do not want to see any js calls in your html files. I do
understand it is an explicit goal of rails to minimize the amount of js
that the developer has to deal with personally, but I am already
comfortable with it.  I could tie my left hand to the chair in order to
guarantee that only my right hand will be used for typing, but why
bother?

Anyway, Marnen, these are *cosmetic* preferences.  I would just hate to
see the day when some weirdo consortium comes along and says "From now
on, everyone must tie their left hand to the chair", altho I doubt that
will be possible in this case.

*meaning there may be more unfortunate use of javascript still to come
:O