Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

>> It still seems to me that it is.  Where there is html, there can be
>> javascript.
>
> Yes.  There can also be CSS.  There *should* be neither.

WHY!???!?  You want to make web programming *more* limited that it
already is??
I agree "when convienient" but

> Rather what I'm talking about is simply having <div class="menu"></div>
> in your HTML, then do something like
>
> window.onload = function () {

1) what if this menu is part of a view being loaded into an existing
div, and not part of a fresh page

2) create_menu_div would imply (or at least, I would hope) to me
something a little bit more significant than just assigning some style.
I do use a function like this, and it takes an array of choices (for the
menu options) and a callback containing a switch(); the number of the
choice corresponds to this, so rather than having to write a slew of
onclick statements, etc,

choices = ["do this", "do that", "do both"];
create_menu_div(style, choices, parnt, callback);

>> Also, using an event handler still
>> entails putting some javascript in an html page somewhere.
>
> Not necessarily.  You can use the onload technique (as above) to assign
> behavior without a single JS call in the HTML.  All you need is the
> external <script> tag in the <head>.

The <head> I would say is part of an html page.

> It's not a paradox at all.  It's perfectly feasible, and I know because
> I have done it.

Yeah, because you use ruby shortcuts.  The JS still ends up in the page.
All you have to do is look at the source generated for a rails app page
(any and all of them) to find more inline javascript than you can shake
a stick at.

> Again: it is possible.  It is feasible. It's not even particularly
> difficult.

Sure, and again I agree: as convenient.  By "not possible" I meant that
I sincerely hope that people with your opinion do not come up with a
means of *forcing* everyone else to comply, and I do believe that "will
not be possible", in fact.  Thankfully.

-MK

ps. with your penchant for waving credentials and experience, the
biggest question in my mind would be why the simple answer Rob gave was
evidently out of your range...