On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Shuaib85 <shuaib.za...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there
>
> There are some code pieces that are available in php like currency
> rates, and weather status, etc. Is there a way that I can use those
> php code within rails code in the view. or is there a good rails
> plugin for that purpose
>
> thanks

Well, if you have truly looked for similar within the Ruby gems and plugin
repositories and cannot find an equivalent, I would recommend adding
the functionality to existing gems/plugins or creating new ones.  From my
experience, it was simply easier to do it this way unless the PHP and
Ruby sides code interactions were isolated.

For example, I had to integrate a Word Press blog into a Rails application.

This worked great because I just dropped the blog into the public part of
the Rails
site and I was off to the races.  However, this didn't work so well when I
needed
to integrate a Rails application with a bank's billing interface that was in
PHP.
It simply felt wrong but the client wanted it ASAP and I ended up capturing
the
users input on the Rails side and submitting it to a PHP confirmation page
for later
submission to the bank.

In short, if you can find a good isolation point between the two languages,
I would
use that at a means of integrating the two if you do not have time to do it
all in
Ruby.

Good luck,

-Conrad