Why do you need to go WAR route?

Give glassfish gem a try:

Assuming you have JDK6 and JRuby installed

Install:

$ jruby -S gem install glassfish

To run:

$ cd your-app
$ glassfish

There is no warring here. The gem is about 3.4 MB in size and directly run
Rails or Rack based frameworks (Merb, Sinatra, Ramaze) by hooking up HTTP
(grizzly framework) with the framework of your choice.

-vivek