To add another thought to the mix:

The only reason why I'm defining a rake task is that eventually the rake
task will be managed by a cron job for populating the data for my
database on a weekly basis (say every sunday night).

The main bulk of the remainder of my project will just be dealing with
controllers and views for how the site is listed..

So, the population of data from an external source is the big issue
right now.