So,

The short answer is yes - Ruby 1.9.1 from 1.8.6 affects several things,
the big ones being how scopes and controller calls to models work with
scopes work.  In addition, several ways that I manage arrays created
errors so I'm in the mode of polishing them up.

I'm taking a friend's advice and just using 1.9.1 as a test platform for
my project.  1.9.1 is not doable for production until I'm able to
completely and thoroughly test all functionality with it.  I'll probably
make the permanent move next year some time.