Julia Lovel wrote:
> I am trying to make a javascript drop-down navigation menu for my first
> rails web site
[...]

Your issues appear to have nothing to do with Rails, and would probably
be better suited to a JavaScript or CSS forum.  Please note, however,
that the JS you posted does not appear (on cursory inspection) to be
terribly good code, and that Rails includes the Prototype JS framework,
which may make your life easier.

If it were me, however, I wouldn't use JS for dropdown menus.  It is
possible to use CSS's :hover pseudoclass for the same purpose -- and it
will work even if JS is turned off.  I think this is the preferable
solution in most cases.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser